A police officer in Da Nang City, central Vietnam reads out an arrest warrant to a foreign suspect, identified by police as Zhang Junhua, in connection with an alleged property theft case. Photo: Trang Phuong
City police said on Monday they had launched criminal proceedings against a 42-year-old foreign suspect, identified as Zhang Junhua, on allegations of property theft and ordered his three-month detention for investigation.
The case began with a complaint filed on Thursday last week, when a 33-year-old woman and a 61-year-old man reported losing their belongings while dining at a restaurant in Duy Nghia Commune.
The woman reported that her backpack, containing personal items, about VND75 million ($2,900) and $400, had been stolen.
The man said he lost his passport, about VND60 million (around $2,310), $200, and several bank cards.
After examining the scene and gathering information, investigators identified a foreign man who had been at the restaurant at the time of the theft and left shortly afterward.
At about 3:00 pm on February 13, officers located the suspect on a city street and brought him in for questioning.
At the police station, Zhang admitted to committing the theft, authorities said.
Police recovered VND29.7 million ($1,150), $1,136, and various related documents and belongings.
Investigators are continuing their probe to recover the remaining stolen assets and complete legal procedures to handle the case in accordance with Vietnamese law.
Max: 1500 characters
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment.