Ho Chi Minh City doctors perform awake brain surgery on 12-year-old boy

21/05/2026 15:45

Doctors in Ho Chi Minh City have recently performed awake brain surgery on a 12-year-old boy, asking him to count numbers and solve math problems during the procedure to help identify critical brain functions.

Dr. Do Hong Hai, head of the pediatric neurosurgery unit at University Medical Center Ho Chi Minh City, said on Tuesday that doctors had successfully performed awake brain surgery on a 12-year-old boy whose tumor was located near critical functional areas of the brain.

Throughout the operation, the patient was asked to perform tasks including counting numbers, solving math problems, naming objects, and moving his arms and legs.

According to Dr. Hai, direct interaction with the patient during surgery allowed the medical team to accurately identify brain regions linked to movement, sensation, language, and other higher neurological functions.

“If the patient suddenly experiences weakness, loss of sensation, or difficulty speaking during the procedure, we know we are operating close to an important functional area of the brain,” he said.

Awake craniotomy has previously been used mainly on adults, while performing the procedure on children remains particularly challenging because young patients often struggle to stay calm, focused, and cooperative for extended periods.

Doctors said the latest surgery marked an important milestone that could expand treatment options for pediatric patients with brain lesions located near critical functional regions.

About two months earlier, the boy began suffering from prolonged headaches, temporary numbness and weakness on one side of his body, and brief episodes of unconsciousness.

Medical examinations later revealed a large brain tumor located in an area directly associated with movement and language, a highly sensitive region where imprecise intervention could lead to permanent neurological damage.

Faced with those risks, the medical team opted for awake craniotomy instead of conventional general anesthesia.

Doctors said the technique enabled them to directly assess the patient’s speech and motor abilities during surgery, helping define safe boundaries for tumor removal while minimizing neurological injury.

The operation required close coordination among neurosurgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, and psychological support staff.

Given the patient’s young age, helping him understand, trust, and cooperate throughout the surgery was considered a key factor in the procedure’s success.

Following the operation, the boy regained consciousness, recovered well, and showed no additional focal neurological deficits.

Follow-up scans indicated that nearly the entire tumor had been removed.

He remains under observation as doctors continue to develop a treatment plan to support his full recovery.

Van Giang - Thuy Duong / Tuoi Tre News

Link nội dung: https://news.tuoitre.vn/ho-chi-minh-city-doctors-perform-awake-brain-surgery-on-12-year-old-boy-103260521150458042.htm